For me, kale is like the edgy, new kid in the class. Everywhere I look, I find a recipe with this trendy superfood. Kale stew, kale crostini, fried kale, kale chips, steamed kale… The list goes on and on!
Originally from Europe, kale has been making appearances in the US for quite some time, especially in comfort food dishes in the South. Move over, collard greens, kale is here to stay! Today, many health nuts and foodies alike are praising this superfood for its nutritional qualities. Just some fun facts: kale has 260% of a person’s daily vitamin A intake and 170% of the daily vitamin C intake!
Kale piqued my interest not too long ago when I went to a food event I went with a friend. I tried the curly, leafy green and I decided I absolutely had to make some for myself. The chef gave us a sample of the dish and explained how it was made. He told us he cooked the kale for about three to four hours in a large pot with onions, garlic, red wine vinegar, chicken broth and prosciutto. Yes, you read correctly- prosciutto!
The kale was tangy and flavorful with the acidity of the vinegar and the saltiness of the prosciutto, but I loved that the taste of the vegetable still came through. As much as I wanted to try this dish for myself, I knew there had to be a way to make it in less time.
Fast forward to today and I finally had a chance to make that flavorful kale dish! I decided to buy the ingredients and just go for it. I found a simple and quick recipe here from Talia at “Indulgence, Re-created” and I have to say that it tastes just like the kale dish I tasted a couple of months ago at the food demonstration. I made just a couple of changes (like adding more prosciutto!) but it’s still absolutely yummy!
Interested in trying this tasty dish? Read below for the easy recipe and let me know how you liked it!
Ingredients:1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1 cup Red Onion, chopped 3 cloves garlic, minced 10 cups, (16oz) Kale, washed and roughly chopped 1 1/4 cups Chicken Broth 3 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar, or your favorite 1 cup Prosciutto, chopped 3/4 tsp Salt 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven, or large pot over medium heat. Add red onion and sweat for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Add garlic, and cook 30 more seconds, still stirring constantly.
3. Add prosciutto and stir together with the rest of the ingredients for about one minute.
4. Add kale and about 2/3 of chicken broth. Using your spatula, mix the kale in. It’ll seem like a lot, but it’ll cook down a bit right away.
5. After a couple of minutes, lower heat to medium/low, and add remainder of broth, vinegar, and salt & pepper. Mix well and cover.
6. Cover and cook 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally.
7. Try the kale for acidity and seasoning.
8. Once the kale is tender and to your liking, serve!